Good Morning Students, Staff (and other loyal readers), If you've been following along, you'll know I have not posted in a few days. My lack of posts recently can be attributed to the final crunch, obviously, but also to the reality of full-time in-person school days. It became much harder to write each day with so many of you fully present. Also, because you were all present, I could see you more often, and hopefully offer the same pearls of wisdom in person rather than in writing. And so it seems, the purpose of this particular blog has come to an end...but not without a few more final reflections. First I'll say, I have absolutely loved writing this blog. Long before the pandemic, I had toyed with the idea of writing. This dream of publishing something "someday" materialized as I became a reader in high school. I found that I very much enjoyed reading books that documented the lives of real people in real situations. Here ar...
Happy Monday Everyone! Coming at you with a late afternoon post about being a "Doer." What is a doer you ask? Well, it's someone who isn't afraid to do something even when there is some risk involved. I'm not talking about life or death risk but more social risk or academic risk, or even some small physical risks. If you never risk, can you ever truly live? Here are some examples: Social Risk Wanting to try a new activity but worrying about joining for fear of how those who are already good at the activity might respond to you. I, for one, worry about running in public spaces and in partnerships with others because I feel that people will think I am too slow and subsequently won't want to run with me. This is a time to take a risk. The reality is that people will probably really appreciate you coming out to participate with them, and will enjoy your company whether you run slowly or not. Don't let other...
Happy Tuesday Everyone, Today's question of the day in my Google classroom was what are some of your favorite movies of all time? This got me thinking about some of my favorites movies. I decided to search out some clips from a couple of favorites to share with you. I love this clip from Remember the Titans . It gives me goose flesh every time I watch it. I remember visiting this same battlefield when I was a sophomore in high school and my older sister was looking at colleges. I love the coach's insistence that the players will learn to respect each other regardless of whether they like each other. His deeper belief is that with respect, comes understanding, and with understanding, comes compassion. This is an idea that comes up in my office a lot, and it is certainly still an issue in our communities and our country today. We have to learn to put our differences aside, listen to folks that we disagree with, and f...
Comments
Post a Comment