The Final Push

Welcome to the last Monday!

So, I know I told you on Friday that I was giving you your last, "assignment," which was to think about your summer goals and the habits you will create to get there, but...I lied!  One more thing I want you to do is to watch this CNN/Sesame Street Racism Town Hall with your family (If you haven't watched it already!)  Yes, I know you are middle schoolers, yes, I know that Sesame Street is aimed at toddlers and young kids, but I watched it with my 7 and 9-year-old kids on Saturday, and there is a lot of good conversation here that is appropriate to young audiences and will help you and your families start conversations about race, racism, and antiracism.   

I think that one of the hardest things about helping to break the cycle of oppression and systematic racism is just starting this conversation, and this Town Hall helps to open that door, so please find some time to sit with your family to check it out.   Don't just get up and walk away after!  Talk with those you live with about what it means and how you can all move forward in positive directions.  


With regards to moving forward in positive directions...

I would also like to open the door for any feedback you have for us or for me specifically.  What were the things that went well during school dismissal?  What were the things that could use improvement?  This situation was unprecedented and we all jumped in with the best of intentions and tried to figure it out as we went.  There are things that I felt worked pretty well, from a counseling perspective, and there were things that I struggled with too, so any feedback or thoughts about what we could do differently are welcomed.  Please just send me an email with any thoughts you have.

I have really enjoyed writing to you all each day, and I hope that it has been helpful for some of you.  I would like to figure out how to incorporate writing into my everyday school counseling practice when we return to school, but really I'll just be excited to discuss all of these topics and more with you in person when we are able.  I may do some writing over the summer...maybe once a week, so please feel free to continue to follow this blog as you enjoy your summer, and it will stay live so that you can go back and read any old posts if you wish.   

There have been other things about distance counseling that I have loved as well.  I have enjoyed getting to see all of your pets!  I have enjoyed unsolicited tours of your homes and of spaces and things that are important to you.  I have liked having your undivided attention during online meets, and I have appreciated seeing you in your home settings where you feel so comfortable.  I'll miss these parts next year when we see each other in person, but I hope that you'll bring all your stories, adventures, and personality to those meets as well! 

During the summer, when school is not in session, remember that you still have all kinds of resources at your disposal.   

24/7 Crisis Hotlines:
Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1800-273-TALK *8255*
VT Crisis Text Line - Text "VT" to 741741

Additional Resources:
Washington County Mental Health and Washington County Mental Health Screeners - 802-229-0691
Vermont 211 - Dial anywhere in VT or visit www.Vermont211.org
Umatter U Can Get Help

National Hopeline Network:  800-442-HOPE *4673*
Screening for Mental Health - In-person and online screening programs for depression, anxiety, PTSD, eating disorders, substance abuse, and suicide prevention.

GLBT National Health Center  - 888-843-GLBT *4564*
GLT National Youth Talkline - 800-246-PRIDE*7743* - Online Peer Support Chat - Telephone volunteers in their teens and early twenties speak with teens and young adults up to age 25 about coming-out issues, relationship concerns, parent issues, school problems, HIV/AIDS, anxiety and more.
The Trevor Project - Trevor Lifeline 866-488-7386  www.TrevorSpace.org Trevor Chat: 202-304-1200 Trevor Text: Text the word "Trevor" - Providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ Youth
Trans Lifeline 877-565-8860
 
Your best resources especially, before a crisis happens are the people who love you most.  Your parents, guardians, grandparents, older siblings, aunts, uncles, and extended families.  Find someone you trust, and talk to them.  Tell them your hopes, dreams, and fears.  Ask them questions about what it was like when they were young.  Ask them to just be a listener and a cheerleader!  If you have a problem you need solved, ask them to help you brainstorm solutions so that you can pick something that works for you.

Most of all this summer, be brave, be kind, believe in yourself, and trust that you know what you need!  
I'll be back for a bit more wisdom tomorrow.  Until then... 

Be Well,

Mrs. Hempey

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month - Resources For You

We Miss You!

Unlikely Friends